Killing plants with ultra-violet ?

Jeffrey Kirby ez043438 at dilbert.ucdavis.edu
Mon Mar 23 14:02:15 EST 1998

steeltek at mail.telcoweb.net wrote:
: Can anyone tell me if ultra-violet light is effective in
: killing or inhibiting the growth of mildew, molds or bacteria?

Yep. It's used in biohazard hoods to kill anything in the hood (while you
aren't working in it). If you leave a plant in it overnight it will be
black and dead in the morning (not my personal experience).

: This would be in regards to walls in a rather wet enviorment.

If you're thinking of cleaning the bathroom with a blacklight it won't
work. Even if you manage to kill all the mildew (which a consumer
blacklight won't do, and a germicidal UV light is no better for you than
it is for the mildew), you still have to scrub the dead fungus away.

: Or for that matter, any type of light radiation?

If the light is appropriately intense (lasers can probably get that
intense) I would think it would be able to burn any living thing. The key
is getting it that intense and not killing yourself in the process (or
going broke buying the light source).

-j

        Jeffrey A. Kirby                         jakirby at ucdavis.edu