Killing plants with ultra-violet ?

Stefan Sehnbruch Stefan.Sehnbruch at t-online.de
Thu Mar 26 17:33:19 EST 1998

Jeffrey Kirby schrieb:

> steeltek at mail.telcoweb.net wrote:
> : Can anyone tell me if ultra-violet light is effective in
> : killing or inhibiting the growth of mildew, molds or bacteria?
>
> Yep. It's used in biohazard hoods to kill anything in the hood (while you
> aren't working in it). If you leave a plant in it overnight it will be
> black and dead in the morning (not my personal experience).

I once wanted to improve plant growth with an UV-lamp. As I did not want
to spend the money for an expensive Hg-Vapour-planting lamp i took a
very old 200W Hg discharge lamp I got from  my school (from a weathering
chamber). It took me about 2 hours and the plants turned brown. When I
say plants I mean cacti and other plants I usually keep behind the south
side window without problems.
Just as you described they most of them were black and dead next morning
The plants that survived still have "scars" from that sunburn.

Regards

--
Stefan Sehnbruch
Gelsenkirchen, Germany

--- Experience is quite useful,
--- normally you have it a short time after you needed it !