From a High School Science Teacher

Richard M Kurtz rkurtz1 at juno.com
Sat Mar 28 20:13:52 EST 1998

To anyone who knows

I have a student in my high school biology class who did a project about
the effect of touching or repeated rubbing of grass.  He also exposed the
plants to wind (fan).  He found that plants rubbed or exposed to wind
grew differently than those that were not exposed to these factors.  In
general, physical stimulation of the grass resulted in slightly stunted
growth in height and increase in width.  Does anyone know of any
information related to our findings.  Is this effect called
thigmotropism?  Can anyone suggest some papers or books related to my
student's findings.

Thank you,

Richard Kurtz
Huntington High School