commercial source for colchicine

Beverly Erlebacher bae at cs.toronto.edu
Mon Mar 30 15:34:42 EST 1998

In article <19980330181718.17513.qmail at nym.alias.net>,
Karen Wong  <karen_wong at nym.alias.net> wrote:
>I would like to know a commercial source for colchicinein in USA/California-- I am not too
>fond of the idea of buying the bulbs, cultivating them, and making my
>own. Mushy Mess
>
>I will, though, if I have to.  PLEASE help-- there must be some suppliers somewhere.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Karen
>
>PS Yes I know its dangerous.  I have worked with it in a lab, but I have no access to lab sources anymore.

Most scientific supply companies won't sell it to you unless you appear to
be a school or company.  You could ask a high school teacher to order some
for you from Sigma or another company.

If you are on good terms with a medical doctor, you might ask him/her to
write a prescription for a few tablets.  Colchicine is still used to treat
gout.  You can look in the PDR (Physician's Desk Reference - available at
libraries) for info on forms in which it is manufactured.