Methanol and inceased plant yeild

K Barrett drjoe at hotmail.com
Sun May 3 21:13:21 EST 1998

Hello,

I found this newsgroup thru a search on the word 'methanol'. It produced
a post from 1992 which discussed the use of methanol to reduce the
amount of water farmers would need to water their crops. I'm looking for
someone with some knowlege of plant biology to explain the use of
methanol in this manner. It becomes pertainant because there is a big
movement in the orchid hobbyist area [yes, that 'hotbed' of radical
thought *G*] to add methanol to orchid fertilizer producing a 'tonic'
which the manufacturer claims grows orchids that'll knock your socks
off. People are buying the stuff. And for the life of me I can't figure
out why the addition of methanol would make such a big difference.
Please respond via email, because I won't get back to this newsgroup.

I thank you in advance, I'm off now to continue the search!

K Barrett