[Fwd: HELP about Houseplants' Origins]

Jean-Charles bourling at hol.fr
Thu May 21 03:29:36 EST 1998

E Charles Nelson wrote:

> The message <35632684.4DB1 at hol.fr>
>   from  Jean-Charles <bourling at hol.fr> contains these words:
>
> > I'm looking for informations about houseplants' origins!
>
> > For example : where is Brassaia actinophylla grown? (I don't mean
> > cultivated but what is its natural environment : rainforest, seasonal
> > forest, savan...?)
>
> The current name for Brassaia actinophylla is Shefflera actinophylla.
> It is  native in north-eastern Australia and southern New Guinea. The
> only way to obtain details of its natural habitats will be to consult
> floras of Australia (including Queensland) [both these exist] or New
> Guinea. Horticultural works such as the Royal Horticultural Society
> distionary of gardening only give countries or regions of origin;
> habitat details are rarely given in horticutural works.
>
> Alternatively you will need to consult [taxonomic] monographs on the
> genus, and these are listed in e.g. European Garden Flora.
>
> --
> Dr Charles Nelson
> Tippitiwitchet Cottage, Hall Road, OUTWELL PE14 8PE, Wisbech, UK
> tel [+ 44] 01945 773057. fax [+ 44] 1945 774077
> e-mail tippitiwitchet at zetnet.co.uk
Thanks for your explanations !
Schefflera actinophylla and Ficus benjamina seem to come from seasonal
tropical forests (with over 1500 mm watering during more than 8 month!)
So why are we supposed to let the soil dry before watering again when we
cultivate them as houseplants!
I've received an interesting response from John doe concerning the
soil's structure (very well-drained and organically poor)!
But many other houseplants (Aglaonem commutatum, Anthurium andreanum...)
that come from the same ecosystem, need to have their soil kept in
permanent moisture.
How can this be ?