Pollen Viability

Ian Mackay mac at lionseed.demon.co.uk
Thu May 28 16:46:04 EST 1998

In article <356625AC.6DDF at mail.sunlink.net>, george davis
<gdavis34 at mail.sunlink.net> writes
>Greetings,
>Can anyone direct me to an assay to determine pollen viability? I
>vaguely remember some assay involving agar plates, but can't remember
>the composition of the medium. Thanks in advance.
>George

I don't have the following references to hand, but they sound as though
they may offer some leads.

Alexander MP.  1989. Differential staining of aborted and non-aborted
pollen. Stain Technology vol 41 pp 117-122

Hormaza JI and Herrero M 1996. Dynamics of pollen tube growth under
different competition regimes. Sexual Plant Reproduction vol 9 pp
153-160

Haldrup A and Bruun L. 1993 Self-incompatibility reactions and
compatible pollen-tube growth are retained with in-vitro pollinations of
suget beet. Sexual Plant Reproduction vol 6 46-51

--
Ian Mackay