Help Trying To Find Common Allergen In Nuts...

Monique Reed monique at bio.tamu.edu
Mon Nov 2 09:39:00 EST 1998

I think I can help make it a little clearer, being a nut allergy sufferer
myself.

The person who told you peanuts are not nuts but legumes was correct--they
are members of the Fabaceae.  Also, almonds are not nuts, but the seed of a
peach-like fruit in the Rosaceae.  Cashews are the seed of a plant in the
Anacardiaceae.

Pecans and Walnuts are nuts and are both members of the Juglandaceae.  It
stands to reason that if you are allergic to one, you might be allergic to the
other, since they are very closely related and have similar compounds.
Hazelnuts (filberts) are in the same group of families and are more closely
related than are pistachios (also not a nut), peanuts, and almonds.

I'm not sure what the specific allergen in walnuts and pecans is, and it might
be different for different people.  (E.g., I can eat pecans till I burst, but
one walnut and I'm in trouble.)  As a general rule, though, if you are
allergic to something, you should be careful with close relatives.  That's
not to say that something unrelated may not also cause you trouble because of
a similar chemistry, but as a rule of thumb, it's wise to learn the relatives
of your particular trouble foods.

Hope this helps,
Monique Reed
Botanist, Texas A&M