Venus Flytrap

Michael Strickland m.strickland at att.net
Mon Nov 2 07:56:19 EST 1998

On Mon, 02 Nov 1998 01:48:23 +0200, Yaniv Sharon wrote:

>I am looking for information about the time that takes the Venus Flytrap
>(Dionaea muscipula) to "finish his food".
>If anyone knows how much time it takes until it can get another insect,
>please let me know.

The time that it takes depends on the size of the insect trapped. Usually a
few days to a week is required - at least during warm weather. The traps will
reopen once the insect's nutrients have been absorbed. If the insect is too
meaty, sometimes it will kill the trap - it'll turn black and shrivel.

>I would also like to know what happens in a case of a fast insect that
>runs away, does the dionea knows that it hasn't catched a thing?
>If so, how much time it will take it to reopen?

It should be reopened the next day. If there is no stimulation of the hairs
within the trap after the trap begins to close, it will not close completely.
The struggles of the insect within the trap are what stimulates the trap to
close tightly and secrete the fluids to digest the insect.

Later, Mike
USDA Zone 7, Sunset Zone 32 (Villa Rica, GA)
m.strickland at att.net