Frank Kingdon Ward's plants

E Charles Nelson tippitiwitchet at zetnet.co.uk
Fri Nov 13 09:56:00 EST 1998

FRANK KINGDON WARD'S MOUNT VICTORIA (BURMA) 1956 PLANTS

I am seeking information about any living plants raised from seeds
collected by the British plant collector, Frank Kingdon Ward during
his three collecting trips on Mount Victoria, Burma (now Myanmar),
during April, May-June, and October-November 1956.

I am aware of at least two species raised from seeds, but only one
seems to be still in cultivation. Geranium pogonanthum (= G.
yunnanense of gardens) survives in gardens having been raised from KW
22796. Ward also distributed seeds of a second species of Geranium,
22781 but has any garden got plants with this number; Dr Peter Yeo
assigned it to G. aff. wlassovianum? And does anyone cultivate
Geranium wardii raised from 22760?

One Cotoneaster, 21928, was also collected. This was identified as C.
nitidus by Klotz but may represent a new species. Dr Bertil Hylmo and
Jeanette Fryer inform me that 21928 was in cultivation in the 1960s
in the botanic gardens in Gotenburg and Edinburgh, but there are no
current records of it in gardens.