Fungus and orchids

Laurel Carroll laurelc at concentric.net
Thu Nov 12 21:27:39 EST 1998

untung wrote:

> Have you got the answer?  Otherwise, I'll try to look it up for you.
>
> Untung
>
> @esn.net <@esn.net> wrote in message ...
> >What spp. of mycorrizae form associations with terrestrial
> >Cypripediums?
> >
> >Thanks in advance!
> >Kelvin Taylor

To whomever it is who's looking for mycorrhizal fungi symbiotic with
Cypripediums:

Three genera recently associated with Spiranthes and Plantanthera are
Ceratorhiza, Moniliopsis, and Epulorhiza. Identifying fungal symbionts
in these relationships is a bit of a cunumdrum due to difficulty of
cultivating the fungus so that it produces a "fruiting body," upon which
so much classification is based. Try: Gill, D.E. 1996. The natural
population ecology of temperate terrestrials: Pink Lady's-Slippers,
Cypripedium acaule. In: C. Allen [ed.], Proceedings of the North
American Native Terestrial Orchid Propagation and Production Conference.
pp 91-106. National Aboretum, Washington, D.C.; also try Lawrence W.
Zettler, Dept. Bio., The Illinois College, 1101 W. College Ave.,
Jacksonville, Ill. 62650-2299.