pitcher plant/nepenthes is shrivelling

©hrí§ ø`®êíÏÏ¥. exotic at publiconline.co.uk.NOSPAM
Fri Nov 20 10:34:36 EST 1998

>Hi there. I have a pitcher plant (nepenthes cochina (sp?)). It has been
>growing fine up until I went on holiday for 2 weeks where it was looked
after
>by a friend. Since I have come back, one of the pitchers started
shrivelling
>up. Then almost overnight, ALL the flipping pitchers shrivelled up! I
moved
>it up to the bathroom (gets quite humid) but no joy.
>
>The plant itself isn't dying as it it producing new leaves (but not new
>pitchers). I have always used rainwater or boiled kettle water and it has
>loved this. I am assuming that it was not watered with the correct water
>whilst I was away and now it is paying me back by shrivelling up!
>
>Please help!

I'll try my best...

>What shall I do?

Sit down for a few moments; try to relax!

This also happened to me before, so I flushed the soil through with loads
of rain water, which worked well for me. Having a full water butt made
this very easy.

>I don't want it to die!

Maybe it isn't dying. I have Sarracenia flava outside in my garden, and
the pitchers die down naturally each winter leaving just the leaves. It
seems to me the pitchers are abondoned at the first sign of stress.

I'm not sure whether boiling the water will remove all types of hardness,
but it's not my subject - there are plenty of scientists in this group who
I hope can clarify that....
--
Chris. (N/W Kent)
Views expressed may accurately portray my opinion. Ü