artificial light experiment

Scott Geerds geerdsnospam at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 24 02:18:26 EST 1998

In article <73cm79$cgf6$1 at newssvr04-int.news.prodigy.com>, "VICKI L JONES"
<VICTORIAJ at prodigy.net> wrote:

Hmmm.... What are you using as your artificial light source? Incandescent?
Flourescent (warm/cool?) HID halide or sodium? Keep in mind that you are
filtering out different parts of your source spectrum, and all of the
artificial light sources just mentioned can vary wildly.... for instance,
a cool white flourescent is heavy in the blue spectrum, whereas a warm
flourescent is heavier in the red spectrum. In my experience a bluer light
will give more compact growth and redder light will promote stretching in
seedlings. maybe you are using a light source that is weighted towards one
end of the spectrum or another that is causing your results to be skewed?
this is all speculation of course... I'm not a scientist, just an observer
;-)

Scott