Sticky Ficus

Beth Vining bvining at gorge.net
Fri Oct 2 13:26:00 EST 1998

Mealybugs - leaf sap suckers that omit "honeydew" - excess sugar as a by product
of their munch feast. They become less mobile as the mature and develop a waxy
cottony coating. They lay egg masses that are white fuzzy spots. You can use a
insecticidal soap - I've used Safers - or soapy water. Or rubbing alcohol . Just
wash the leaves off  - and sometimes stems. Look for the egg masses.  It's
pretty effective. Sometimes there will be egg masses on the soil surface in the
pot too.
 A bad case can defoliate a ficus pretty fast so get on it.