Genetic engineering is a Good Thing?

Harold Lindaberry harlind at epix.net
Thu Oct 8 04:27:07 EST 1998

Beverly Erlebacher wrote:

> In article <+rGKXCAxCqG2Ew1p at upthorpe.demon.co.uk>,
> Oz  <Oz at upthorpe.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >In article <6vdu4m$moj$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>, irv4vz0c at my-dejanews.com
> >writes

> >>Ever heard of Vietnam??
> >
> >Certainly. But deaths due to AO?
>
> One of he worst legacies of the Vietnam war is the very high incidence of
> children born with limb defects and neurological abnormalities after their
> parents were exposed to Agent Orange.  Dioxins and other congeners are both
> mutagenic and teratogenic.  They break down slowly, so people in areas heavily
> dosed with Agent Orange continued to be exposed to them for years afterwards.
> How many seriously disabled people do you think a subsistance farming village
> can support?

    The labeled ( ? ) instructions for "orange " were intended for an entirely
different purpose with little intent on human safety for those sprayed ( the same
as it was for napalm ) being used at the time. The quality control specifications
were not very stringent. I know of one plant manufacturing T where a statistical
study was run comparing plant workers actually exposed to T in the plant
manufacturing process to office workers not exposed and actually the cancer and
death rate was lower among the plant workers ( although not statistically lower
but almost ). Typically the dioxin content of T the dioxin content of T was not
detected ( sensitivity of method 0.1 ppb ) in commercially utilized T. Some of the
T produced for Nam ran into the ppm. range by one of the manufacturers in
particular.

> The incidence of leukemias and other cancers has increased remarkably in
> US corn and grain farmers and their families over the past 20-30 years,
> out of proportion to the incidence of these cancers in other rural residents
> or the population as a whole.

   Numbers and your source for this information is ?

> A survey of veterinarians found that pet dogs are four times more likely
> to get leukemia if they belong to families that use commercial lawn services
> to spray their lawns with pesticides on a regular basis.  It's too hard to
> gather data on the children who play on the lawns with the dogs, however.

    Numbers and source of this epidemiological study information is ?

“ Nature limits what we can do, Science limits what we understand,
Theory what we can think, and Religion what we can hope “ Lindaberry 1998

Harold Lindaberry    reply E - mail    harlind at epix.net
visit OXGORE website at  http://www.epix.net/~harlind
RESEARCH GOES WHERE RESEARCH LEADS