Genetic engineering is a Good Thing?

Dennis G. Dennis_Goos at mindlink.net
Thu Oct 8 19:17:44 EST 1998

Lourens at gengler.iaf.nl (Lourens) wrote:

>On 08 Oct 98 Oz at upthorpe.demon.co.uk wrote:
>
>>In article <1998Oct7.134428.20146 at jarvis.cs.toronto.edu>, Beverly
>>Erlebacher <bae at cs.toronto.edu> writes
>
>>>A survey of veterinarians found that pet dogs are four times more
>>>likely to get leukemia if they belong to families that use
>>>commercial lawn services to spray their lawns with pesticides on a
>>>regular basis.  It's too hard to gather data on the children who
>>>play on the lawns with the dogs, however.
>>
>>I wouldn't mind betting that those families also had children with
>>significantly more plastic toys than the rest too.
>
>Even when this survey would have eliminated ALL other aspects that
>might have influenced the results, one might conclude that spraying
>your lawn with pesticides, and inmiediately let your dog or child paly
>on it, is not a good practice.
>
>I supose nobody would lick at an insect repelent as well. Nor would
>somebody eat the soup when it is still 95 degr.C
>
>Read the label. Consider the waiting-time.
>
>lourens

From:
http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/CEPS/petcolumns/cancercb.htm

Quoted:

CANCER RISKS IN CATS AND DOGS

PET COLUMN FOR THE WEEK OF JANUARY 19, 1998
...."
Dogs have a much higher incidence of nasal sinus cancer than do people. "This
may be because they have more nose to get
cancer in and because their noses are always on the ground sniffing up chemicals
and other carcinogens that concentrate there,"
says Dr. Kitchell. Carcinogens range from herbicides and pesticides for dogs in
rural areas to factory or automobile pollution
for urban dogs.
...."

While not a study, this column does put some perspective on the matter of cancer
in dogs.
Obviously, pesticides sniffed from lawns would not be an approved use for humans
and children do not have the nose or the desire to sense the world as does the
dog so their risk is not the same.
On the other hand the sniffing of urban and automobile pollution requires no
permit and children likely experience a great deal more pollution in going to
school and into the community then does the dog staying home in the apartment.

Dennis