Human based computers (Was - Fruit-based computers)

gus gus_goose at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 9 11:03:31 EST 1998

Larry Smithmier wrote:

> Tristan Wibberley wrote:
>
> > Frampton Steve R wrote:
> > >
> > > In comp.os.linux.development.system Matthew Vaughn <matvon-diespam at mad.scientist.com> wrote:
> > > : My Apple II is still going strong after all these years.. where have you
> > > : been people? Fruit based computers have been the wave of the future since
> > > : 1978!                              ~~~~~~~~~
> > >                                      ~~~~~~~
> > > They're "have been"'s alright!  :-)  ~~~~~
> >
> > beens, Beans?
> >
> > Pulse based computers :o), use the pulses for the timing signals!
> >
> > --
> > Tristan Wibberley
>
> What do you think pulsars are? ;-)

[snip]

This is begging for puns. So much so, I think I will change subject ....
done.

Firstly, the concept:
"Bio-interactive computational entity for additional analytical
abilities for humans" In laymans terms, a device inserted in to a human
which will allow previously impossible calculations to be performed
"internally". The concept specifies that this bio-compatible computer
will provide an additional support role for for the computational and
analytical processes of the human brain. It will not supercede the brain
as a processing unit. The brain will still be most important, otherwise
we have an andriod, not a human.

Second, the name:

First Generation = Pace Maker! (supporting only basic human functions),
dialisys machines, etc.

Second Generation = "Homorobotics" (tm) - the use of processors to
enable enhanced machanised ability of prosthetics

Obviously, the first two generations are currently available in various
forms ...

Third Generation = "Sensaware" (tm) "Makes your senses aware!" which are
micro-devices incorporated in to the human body to increase/add
sensitivity to sensory information, such as touch, texture, even taste,
and hearing.

My guess, 18 months to 3 years. Some prototypes probably in development.

Fourth Generation = "Duploneurotronics" (DNTs) which is using duplex
communication with the nervous system. That is, the device will be able
to stimulate, and interpret the brain, and other neural clusters. Uses
for this will be initially in the military arena, picture it: firing
mechanism, reactionary responses, and enhanced surveilance techniques.

My guess, 2 to 10 years, more realistically, I would put it within five
years of achieving Third Generation.

Fifth Generation = True "BioIntelligence" or "BioIntegration". BI is
the  true integration of AI in to the body. This will provide the
functionality as described by the concept statement. It will obviously
add value to any prior generation devices already in the body. I
envisage a computational cannister embedded around the base of the neck
with interfaces around the medulla brain stem, and optic nerves.

Time scale, within 10 years of Fourth Generation. At an average
"success" rate this estimate sits around year 2012.

I am tired now, and must go, but after expressing my serious opinions on
the development of technology, I am forced to add the one pun I have
been wanting to say the whole time.

Will it be User Friendly?

gus