Genetic engineering is a Good Thing?

Bruce Sinclair sinclairb at NOT_agresearch.cri.nz
Mon Oct 12 18:55:01 EST 1998

In article <01bdf59e$29d673c0$LocalHost at rambler.ic.new-ulm.mn.us>,
   "Paul" <I at hate.spam> wrote:

>Bruce Sinclair <sinclairb at NOT_agresearch.cri.nz> wrote in article
><6ve951$cu5$4 at news.akl.netlink.net.nz>...
>> In article <6vb9n9$ncd$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
>> irv4vz0c at my-dejanews.com wrote:
>> >

>> >DDT, Lindane, Agent Orange, and probably at least a few other
>> "properly
>> >handled" pesticides have all caused the deaths of many, and
not
>> just by acute
>> >poisoning.
>>
>> add paraquat to that list ? ... it's REAL nasty.
>
>I hear of people using it for baking powder in pancakes, and
killing the
>whole family. Fable or real, it is toxic. But then, that is why
it is
>labeled as such, and people need to follow the directions. 30
years ago,
>there was not much thought & concern over that. Times change, and
we have
>more specific chemicals that cause less general damage, as well
as better
>handling and regulation of these chemicals.
>
>Life is a series of risk-management issues. Some people obsess
about ag
>chemicals - ok, but there are a lot of other things out there a
_lot_ more
>likely to kill you. My girlfriend obsesses about thunderstorms.
Yea, they
>can & do kill people, but sitting in your basement, you should
probably
>feel pretty safe & happy.... Most people will accommodate you if
you obsess
>about such things, but they get on with their life, and don't
take a
>thunderstorm obsession very seriously.
>
>Likewise ag chemicals.

agreed - but people that use ag chemicals (or 'chemicals' in
general :) ) had best be a bit obsessive about them. One stuff up
is often all you need !
 ... and of course more is known about them these days too ... so
they get 'more dangerous' like that too.
eg benzene commonly used as a solvent 30 years ago, now it's
considered too dangerous to have around :)

Bruce

ps - i knew someone that obsessed about thunderstorms too ... you
have my sympathy :) :)

Multiple exclamation marks are the sign of a sick mind !!!!!!
(Work)email SinclairB at Agresearch "dot" cri "dot" nz
NOTE remove the not_ from the reply or see the line above.NO SPAM !
postmaster at localhost,abuse at localhost,root at mailloop.com
cat/dev/zero/tmp/...`@localhost,halt at localhost (gotta try this :) )