In search of "strange" plant

E Charles Nelson tippitiwitchet at zetnet.co.uk
Fri Oct 16 03:14:40 EST 1998

The message <703p2l$7je$1 at nuhou.aloha.net>
  from  "Derek H." <derekh at aloha.net> contains these words:

> I am searching for any type of plant that is sensitive to sound waves. I am
> doing science experiments to demonstrate sound vibrations.

> I don't know if such a plant exists...I am hoping it does.

> The ideal plant would be one that would pick up sensitive sounds (much like
> a microphone), and vibrate the sounds with a delayed reaction.

> Any and all help/comments are greatly appreciated.

> Thanks
> Derek H.
> derekh at aloha.net

The most probable candidates for plants sensitive to sound waves are
those adapted to buzz-pollination. According to Proctor, Yeo and Lack
(The natural history of pollination), these include Dodecatheon
(American shooting star), Solanum dulcamara, borage (Borago
officinalis), and members of the Ericaceae. There are other genera
too. Worth investigation!

I doubt that Dionaea will respond to sound waves, at least as far as
shutting its leaf-trap.

--
Dr E. Charles Nelson
Tippitiwitchet Cottage, Hall Road, OUTWELL, Wisbech PE14 8PE, Cambs., UK
e-mail: tippitiwitchet at zetnet.co.uk