In search of "strange" plant

Fri Oct 16 20:49:27 EST 1998

The suggestions about Mimosa pudica are on target...
if the vibrations are of sufficient magnitude, the
leaflets will fold.  Crank up the bass and volume
and those plants will respond!

As for the TV shows and Mr. Baker, well not all
"science" is good science. Except for seismonasty
in species like M. pudica, there are no articles
on sound perception or musical tastes of plants
in reputable science journals.  Some trade books
and even some educational texts and software have
given projects on musical appreciation by plants
more respectability that is deserved.  It is a good
example of "not everything you read in print is
to be believed."

If any of you are teachers out there on this
mail-list, PLEASE do not direct students toward
class projects or science fair studies on the
effect of music on plants.  There is so much more
interesting to test...and much of it really works!
David Hershey has a good book on Plant Biology
Science Projects (J Wiley)...it contains much
good advice on this topic.

ross

At 8:38 AM -0400 10/15/98, Jeremy Lee iment

Ross Koning                 | koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479