In search of "strange" plant

SMeissne at AOL.COM SMeissne at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 16 22:40:10 EST 1998

There has been some discussion about finding a plant that could respond to
sound.

I wanted to first point out that responses to sound by biological systems have
been published in
the scientific literature.  Here are two examples, one at the subcellular
level and the
other on the whole plant level:

Pohl P., E. Rosenfeld, R. Millner- 1993-Effects of ultrasound on the steady-
state
transmembrane pH gradient and the permeability of acetic acid through bilayer
lipid
membranes- Biochem et Biophys Acta  1145:  279-283

Weinberger P., M. Measures- 1968-The effect of two audible sound frequencies
on the
germination and growth of a spring and winter wheat- Canadian J. of Botany 46:
1151-1158

I think that the Canadian Journal of Botany is a "reputable science journal".
I have read this
article and am convinced by the data presented that a response to different
sound treatments could
be concluded.  Sadly this sort of good controled work has not been done in
other species, or under
under conditions.  This seems just the sort of thing that make for some fun
class experiments.
Several experiments could be done modeled on the methods used in the above
article.  I'd encourage
those who are interested to read this article and see if they can reproduce
the observations in wheat or
other species.

Second:
One suggested plant to test for sensitivity to sound was Mimosa pudica, the
sensitive plant.
One thing that this plant displays in its response to stimuli is habituation.
This was demonstrated in
Mimosa pudica quite dramatically when some specimens became so used to being
buffetted by
typhoon winds that they simply did not respond any more.  This was reported in
the following
article:

Toriyama H- 1966-The behaviour of the sensitive plant in a typhoon-  The
botanical magazine  79:  427-428

So if you are going to test for response to sound be careful that the plant
has not habituated to the
stimulus.  And allow enough time between tests for it to recover fully.  For
more on habituation in
Mimosa pudica you might wish to look at the following:

Simons P- 1992-The action plant.  Movement and nervous behaviour in plants.
Blackwell Press, Cambridge.  323 pgs.  ISBN:  0-631-13899-4

Hope that helps,....
                        but really, aren't ALL plants somewhat strange??
;)

Scott T. Meissner

smeissne at aol.com

Aure Entuluva!