Composting

Sat Oct 24 20:34:49 EST 1998

At 2:08 PM -0400 10/22/98, Merrill E. Speeter wrote:
>Would appreciate suggestions on how to compost leaves without any way to
>grind them up. My shady garden area sadly needs more organic matter and
>oak leaves just do not break down very quickly. Hate to see the trucks
>haul leaves off to a landfill.

Got a lawn mower?
Just mow the lawn with leaves so that the
"shoot" always runs the clippings towards
your compost pile.  As you work and rework
an area the cut-leaves get finer and finer.
Then compost and turn the compost frequently.
Add scraps, soil, and etc. as usual.  Our
city never gets my leaves...

Good Luck!

ross

Ross Koning                 | koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479