:In search of "musical" plants)

michael georgiady mgrgdy at galaxy.ucr.edu
Wed Oct 28 22:33:25 EST 1998

I recall seeing an abstract for a paper (don't recall if it was
actually delivered or not) at the Botanical Society of America
annual meeting last year:

"Sound produced by maize leaves: Can we hear corn grow?"
David G. Browning, Dept. of Physics, U. of Rhode Island
American Journal of Botany, June 1997
volume 84, number 6 (supplement), abstract 109

His conclusion seems to be that leaves rubbing and striking each
other in the wind are responsible for the sounds.