Science Project

Tom McCloud McCloud at dtpax2.ncifcrf.gov
Fri Oct 30 16:15:28 EST 1998

Agerobacterium is a normal soil organism and is not a human pathogen.  It can be
purchased from Carolina Biological Supply, Box 6010, Burlington, NC 27216
carolina at carolina.com      catalog number D8-15-4825,   tube $7.40    Can be
maintained on simple nutrient agars, storred and remain viable for weeks in the
refrigerator.       This bug will also form galls on sterile discs cut out of
potatoes, carrots and other vegetables.    A decreases in the number of galls per
disc has been used as a predictor of anticancer activity.  Take a look at :
1) A blind comparison of simple benchtop bioassays and human tumor cell
cytotoxicities as antitumor prescreens by J.E.  Anderson et al, Phytochemical
Analysis 1991, 2, p.107
2)Crown gall tumors on potato discs and brine shrimp lethality: two simple
bioassays for higher plant screening and fractionation by J.L. McLaughlin  in
Methods in Plant Biochemistry vol.6, 1991
3)Crown gall tumor bioassay by A.G. Galsky   Plant Physiol. 65, 184, 1980
4) Use of potato disc and brind shrimp bioassays to detect activity and isolate
piceatannol as the antileukemic principle from seeds of Euphorbia lagascae  by
N.R. Ferrigni et al  Jol. of Natural Products 47, 347, 1984

The cost of doing this is low, does not require sophisticated apparatus, and
should be within the technical reach of a pretty intelligent 6th
grader.                 Tom McCloud