In search of "musical" plants

Scott Mcphee hyphae at email.msn.com
Thu Oct 29 21:51:47 EST 1998

I was just reading yesterday about Sphagnum mosses in "Plants of the Pacific
Northwest Coast" by Pojar and Mackinnon and they said the following:

"If ones listens carefully while standing in an extensive patch of fruiting
sphagnum, one can hear the capsules imploding. The capsules inplode as
specialized cells called pseudostomates in the middle of the capsule
contract due to water loss."

Also, how about the "Singing Bush" that was in The 3 Amigos??!

Scott Mcphee