Help Trying To Find Common Allergen In Nuts...

Jeffrey Hamlin jbhamlin at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 30 21:23:40 EST 1998

Hi,
I'm not a scientist, just a guy who has had allergies his entire life.
One thing I am trying to understand, I am allergic to nuts, they cause
my throat to begin itching inside, and to close.  But it is a little
weird, I am not allergic to PEANUTS, and ALMONDS.  Sometimes I can eat
Cashews and Pistachios.  But, try a Pecan or Walnut, or any others and
ZAP.  Allergic reaction.

So, I am trying to figure out why some nuts and not all for the allergic
reaction.  Is there a chemical that peanuts, almonds, cashews (that is a
change from when I was a child, then I couldn't eat cashews or almonds,
but always peanuts) lack that is in most nuts?

That's is why I am posting.  I just want to talk to people who are into
plants, and not into drugs!  So, let me know your ideas.  One person
suggested to me that peanuts were not nuts, but legumes, but that doesn't
explain why I can eat almonds, cashews, ...

Thanks,

--

Jeff Hamlin
- CyberWare -