Plants as network medium?

Miguel Cruz mnc at diana.law.yale.edu
Tue Sep 1 15:19:39 EST 1998

Oren Ben-Kiki <oren at capella.co.il> wrote:
>> Would it be possible to use plants as the transmission medium for
>> networks?
>
> Nah, too slow. Why not try for faster then light? It is a well known fact
> that Kingship is transferred instantaniously (once the old king dies, the
> heir _immediatly_ becomes king).

That gives me another idea. It is also a well-known fact that failure to
pick up an umbrella in the morning can cause major atmospheric stress,
sometimes hundreds of miles away, leading to precipitation which would
otherwise not have occurred.

I have surrounded my umbrella with antennae and scopes and have yet to
detect up any radiation emanating from it when I do not pick it up.
Therefore I must conclude that the signal is so faint that my expensive
equipment is simply not sensitive enough. And yet this signal is able to
travel miles, through building materials, trees, and clouds, to reach the
appropriate aerial receptors.

Surely there is some wonderful science at work here. Anyone want to join me
in preparing a grant proposal? We could revolutionize networking (and ensure
a lifetime of sunny weekends, to boot).

miguel