Plants as network medium?

Roger Whitehead rgw at office-futures.com
Wed Sep 9 02:14:10 EST 1998

In article <35F5E8CC.6C3E8F5A at ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu>, Allin Cottrell wrote:
> Why would you make such an assumption?  What Darwinian "function" would
> such a global communication system serve?  Nature is wonderful alright,
> but it got the way it is by a very specific process, not by magic

Who was it who said that any sufficiently advanced technology is
indistinguishable from magic? It's stretching the meaning of the word,
"technology", I know, but that's how, for example, 19th century biologists
would have regarded the things we take for granted today, such as DNA, UV
pollen guides or pheromones. Just think how they would have been decried and
derided then.

Speaking personally, I find a lot of New Age stuff to be about as rigourously
thought out as the doctrine of signatures, but one never knows, does one?
Given the propensity of experts to be wrong when saying things are not
possible, I've always felt that such rejections should be hedged about (no
pun intended) with some sort of caveat ("On present evidence, I would say
that xxx is extremely unlikely." or some such).

Regards,

Roger

Roger Whitehead,
14 Amy Road, Oxted, Surrey RH8 0PX, England
(Tel +44 (0)1883 713074; fax +44 (0)1883 716793)