Plants as network medium?

Allin Cottrell cottrell at
Tue Sep 8 21:32:44 EST 1998

Michael Fair wrote:

> I just made an assumption that the Earth already has a built in global
> communication system, and all there is to do is find it and start using it.

Why would you make such an assumption?  What Darwinian "function" would
such a global communication system serve?  Nature is wonderful alright,
but it got the way it is by a very specific process, not by magic.
No low-probability systems have been devised by Nature that did not
serve the reproduction "requirements" of genes.

Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics
Wake Forest University, NC