Lilac Questions

Monique Reed monique at bio.tamu.edu
Wed Sep 9 09:27:16 EST 1998

Talk to your local nurseryman.  Find out for sure what genus you have.  (It
is probably _Syringa_, though other things do go under the name of "Lilac".)
Take him a leaf to confirm or refute the powdery mildew diagnosis.  Tell him
how old/big  your plant is, then ask him about whether it is worth trying to
save the plant and if you should plant it now or try to overwinter it.  If the
plant is very ill and unlikely to survive the winter, he may advise you
to hold a tasteful little memorial service and try again with a new
plant in the spring.  Someone a little more familiar with your local climate
will be more help than me.  Hey, I'm from Texas!  We can't even grow Lilacs at
all in what passes for soil in this part of the state!!!

M. Reed