Lilac Questions

Karsten Meyer meyek002 at
Wed Sep 9 08:25:59 EST 1998

As far as I know, lilac bushes are Tibouchina urvilleana
(Melastomataceae). They are not frost-resistent! Plant it into a bigger
pot and move the plant to a light and warm (ca. 15 °C) place. Shedding of
(inner) leaves is normal, next spring it will sprout new ones.

In article <6t23ma$kud at>, Kevin Buckley
<buckley at> wrote:

> I received a lilac bush, about 3 feet tall, three months ago.
> I live in Wisconsin.  Should I plant this lilac in the ground, so close
> to winter? Should I move it to a bigger pot?  Take it inside for the
> winter?

Karsten Meyer
Institute of Systematic Botany, University of Mainz
D-55099 Mainz, Germany
tel +49-(0)6131-39 26 24, fax +49-(0)6131-39 35 24