Lilac Questions

Dennis G. Dennis_Goos at mindlink.net
Wed Sep 9 20:24:34 EST 1998

Kevin;
Lilacs(Syringa) are subject to blight. Sometimes the damage can be severe in
appearance without doing much real damage. If you have a grafted plant and the
grat itself is infected you will likely lose the plant, but don't give up hope
because a lilac will repay your efforts with wonderful blooms and scents both
indoors and outdoors.
If the white can be rubbed off to some extent it may be mildew. I've never seen
mildew on lilacs but I've still lots to learn. If it is blight the leaves will
go very pale and the stems will die back somewhat. These a sources of future
infection so clean them up.
If it is a blight and you are not opposed to sprays 1. use a winter oil and 2.
when you see buds forming in the spring spray with a fixed copper. [Do that
again if you have a very humid or wet spring about every 3-4 weeks- see your
state guides and labels- do not accept what someone(me) says on the internet]
If it is mildew be sure you put some ground limestone around the dripline as
soon as practical. Maybe a summer oil or an anti dessicant spray will reduce the
severity.