Does Red Mustard and Broccoli hybridise?

Dennis dennar at bigpond.com
Fri Sep 25 05:07:47 EST 1998

Hi all,

In my vegetable garden I have Broccoli "Coral Green" and Mustard "Red
Giant" growing together. They are both flowering now. I would like to
save the seed of both types for next season. I was wondering if there
was any chance of them hybridising even though they are seperate
species ( the Red Mustard is Brassica juncea and the Broccoli is
Brassica oleracea) ? I hope not otherwise the seeds produced will be
useless and I won't bother keeping them.

Thanks.

Dennis                   Wollongong, Australia