Liquidambar styraciflua (sweetgum)

Steve Hinkson sphinkson at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jul 9 17:02:48 EST 1999

You're right.  A clone is any genetically identical plant.  One of the most
common ways of cloning woody plants is by grafting, as the scion starts out
with a complete set of roots.  I guess it would only be a clone from the graft
up, but as the top portion of the stock plant is usually removed, as in
commercially grown roses, at least the visible part is a true clone.

A cultivar is a selected plant from a grex ( a grex being, all the seedlings
from a particular cross )  when you make a cross, the seedlings are usually
quite variable, but if you get a special one, you may propagate it, and give it
a cultivar name.  In my case, I do roses, coleus, and Hippeastrum.  To clone a
cultivar, vegetative propagation must be used, as they rarely breed true.