[Fwd: Please help Re:white crystal substance in house plants]

Starbuck pmdlandarch at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 15 14:22:57 EST 1999

>>>Need help.  I have been renewing dirt in house plants at least once a
year because of the crystal formation in soil.  Local plant store told
me it was formed by hard water and to use ph up to bring water to
normal.  This has slowed the process but has not eliminated it.  is
there anything else I can do? My plants are very large and not easy to
repot, any suggestions would be more than welcome.<<

The crystals are salts and suspended minerals in the water.  Watering enough
to flush them on through the pot is one method.  Water enough to saturate
the soil, and then water at least an inch or two more each time you water.
Allow good drainage of course, and the minerals will wash out with the
excess water.  Mother always collected rainwater for the plants.  Distilled
water would also help, but is more expensive.

--
To respond via email remove the "X" from the address.