Unidentified plant

arron kcchin at pacific.net.sg
Mon Mar 8 07:28:28 EST 1999

Markus wrote:

> Hi
> Who can tell me the name of this plant. (attachement)
> Thanks
> --
> --
> Markus at lissner.de
> Markus.lissner at chinf.mail.abb.com
> m_lissner at hotmail.com
> --jeder tag ist gleich lang, aber unterschiedlich breit
>
>  [Image]

An aroid  (Araceae)
Colocasia esculenta  ?
'yam', taro, cocoyam
Taro is an elegant perennial plant about 1 m tall.
Its tuber is used as food in this area, however, there are
just too many similiar looking kins that some are edible
some non edible and some deadly poisonous.
It is difficult to tell whether the picture shows which
plant.
A giant of this Genus can have leaves 2 meter in diameter.

Smaller kins includes the decor plants like the varigated
 Calidium which belongs to another Genus Calidium.

(nice floor)