What kind of plant is this?

Lou Dog LouDog at rocketmail.com
Wed Mar 10 20:30:20 EST 1999

I have this plant that I find particularily interesting.  It has these big,
about 6-inch long leaves that are also about 3-4 inches wide.  They are
green on top with faint-white spots on them.  Underneath, most of them are a
deep red.  I got it from a friend and it had a brown, curly stem with two
leaves on it.  I put it in water and got it to root (this was last spring).
I planted it around the end of the spring, and it grew a new stem that is
now about a foot tall (or about double the size of the old stem) by the
middle of the summer.  About two months ago, it started growing another big
stem that looks like it will be bigger than the second (it's already wider).
It's a really interesting plant, but I don't know what kind it is.  My old
roommate who had it (and I no longer have contact with) used to pinch
certain ends off to make it grow in different directions.  The original
plant (in which the first brown stem came from) flowered the summer before
last.  What kind of plant is this?