Brugmansia has a mosaic...help!

dd at gondwana.org dd at gondwana.org
Sat Mar 13 01:56:26 EST 1999

In article <A5BC6F013A017D25.334C9EA72EDB2B84.5AEAD9083BB99BBB at library-
proxy.airnews.net>,
  animaux at spamticnet.com wrote:
> I need some help.  I have a B.versicolor 'Alba' which is showing
> symptoms of having some sort of mosaic virus.  When I inspected the
> plant, I saw some aphid nymphs (spreader culprit).  I didn't see any
> thrips, but this is not a good time for thrips, anyway.  I posted two
> photo's on my website http://www.animaux.net/garden/  if you would
> please take a look.  The first two photo's on the page are the ones of
> the B.versicolor.  It may take a few minutes to load...sorry. There is
> a mottling, and a raised look to the cellular structure of the leaves.
> Almost as if the leaf surface is separated into sheets.  The new
> growth does not display any symptoms, yet.  I took care of the aphids,
> and I will spray a few more times with hort.soap.  I also know there
> is a treatment being prescribed which consists of 9 parts water to 1
> part hort.soap...I have not tried it.  If any plant pathologists or
> any gardener knows anything about this virus, speak NOW!  HELP!  I am
> a collector of the nightshades, and a virus can wipe me out
> completely.
>
> Thanks in advance, and I hope to see some brain storming...
>
> Victoria

Victoria! Get your hands on some back issues of the Amercian Orchid Society
Journal. They've done a LOT of research and published articles on the topic
which may answer all your questions in detail. I urge you to find out where
your local orchid society meets. I don't know about Texas, but our Society
(in San Francisco) had a fairly complete collection of back issues. Perhaps
one of your local universities might have the issues as well as an index.

Virus infection in orchids is a very major issue, and their industry
litaerature may be able to offer leads. For my part, I saw your photos, and
it seems a bit telling that the new growth seems completely uninfected. Also
the wet-looking necrotic pattern is certainly curious.

May I suggest something? To help in the process of elimination, try a wide-
spectrum product called Phyton 27 as a spray and drench. I had a problem like
that on a couple of magnoliaceae, and the Phyton fixed it right up. If it
doesn't help, then you can eliminate bacterial causes (although you may want
to follow up the Phyton a week later with Clearys 3336 just to be sure ---
don't use them together as the two together cause phytotoxicity).

Then again, you've probably already tried pretty much everything, and I'm
telling you something you already know... but I'm mentioning this just in case
it might be a product you haven't tried.

Hope you get on top of the problem and the disease goes away.

Best regards,

David Deutsch
Gondwana Gardens
http://www.gondwana.org