Brugmansia has a mosaic...help!

Elsie townley at infohwy.com
Sat Mar 13 17:00:53 EST 1999

m&v wrote:

> I need some help.  I have a B.versicolor 'Alba' which is showing
> symptoms of having some sort of mosaic virus.  When I inspected the
> plant, I saw some aphid nymphs (spreader culprit).  I didn't see any
> thrips, but this is not a good time for thrips, anyway.  I posted two
> photo's on my website http://www.animaux.net/garden/  if you would
> please take a look.  The first two photo's on the page are the ones of
> the B.versicolor.  It may take a few minutes to load...sorry. There is
> a mottling, and a raised look to the cellular structure of the leaves.
> Almost as if the leaf surface is separated into sheets.  The new
> growth does not display any symptoms, yet.  I took care of the aphids,
> and I will spray a few more times with hort.soap.  I also know there
> is a treatment being prescribed which consists of 9 parts water to 1
> part hort.soap...I have not tried it.  If any plant pathologists or
> any gardener knows anything about this virus, speak NOW!  HELP!  I am
> a collector of the nightshades, and a virus can wipe me out
> completely.
>
> Thanks in advance, and I hope to see some brain storming...
>
> Victoria

It seems curious that the new growth is unaffected - viral damage is so
symptomatic in the new growth with distortion, etc.. Are your plants
outdoors, perhaps in a cool spot? Maybe the temps got a little low for a
night or two? It looks like it could be cold damage to me. As you know,
if it IS viral, there is nothing you can do except destroy those plants
affected, and keep the vector under control. But I don't think it
is.....
--
Elsie
USDA Zone 8b, Texas, with a southeast Texas AND a gulf influence...