vascular/unvascular plants

Roger Whitehead rgw at office-futures.com
Sun Mar 28 04:18:34 EST 1999

In article <l03130302b32349650656@[149.152.32.4]>, Ross Koning wrote:
> >> Many algae are nonvascular as well.
> >
> >They all are, surely?
>
> Even this is controversial. [snip]

Thanks for that, Ross. How unobliging of nature not to comply with our neat
categorizations.  8-)

I'd like to check one thing with you, though. You refer to these transfer
cells as having "some kind of transport (i.e. vascular) function". As I
understand it, all vascular structures are, by definition, for the purpose of
transport (and are, in botany, tubular). Are you also saying the reverse, that
all things able to transport fluids are describable as vascular?

Regards,

Roger

Roger Whitehead,
14 Amy Road, Oxted, Surrey RH8 0PX, England
(Tel +44 (0)1883 713074; fax +44 (0)1883 716793)