vascular/unvascular plants

Sat Mar 27 22:02:30 EST 1999

At 8:38 PM -0500 3/27/99, Roger Whitehead wrote:
>In article <19990327143033.04281.00000376 at ng-cf1.aol.com>, Scigor wrote:
>> Many algae are nonvascular as well.
>
>They all are, surely?

Even this is controversial...though perhaps
less so than the case of bryophytes...some
macroalgae posess cells referred to as "transfer
cells" that appear to have some kind of
transport (i.e. vascular) function.  I don't
think phycologists are as "hot" on the warpath
about this as some bryologists are, however.
And, surely, many algae are too simple in the
thallus to have ANY cells that have conducting
functions.  Algae are a large, undoubtedly polyphyletic
group, making generalizations VERY weak...with
large numbers of exceptions to any "rule" that
one attempts to apply to them.  In my course I
teach that they are aquatic, fundamentally unicellular,
and usually photosynthetic as a generalization and
with exceptions to even these categorizations.

ross

Ross Koning                 | koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479