Tree Peony problem?

Plantsman plantsman at prodigy.net
Mon May 10 21:43:48 EST 1999

I have a tree peony (Paeonia suffruticosa) that I planted last year.  It grew
nicely and had two very large and beautiful rose red flowers on it this
Spring.  I clipped off one of the blooms very close to the bud and now all of
the first leaves on it are drooping badly.  There are newer ones coming out
below these that look quite healthy.  I'm trying to figure out why the first
leaves look so bad this early?  Does it hurt the plant to clip off the blooms
like you would the herbaceous types?   Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The Plantsman
plantsman at prodigy.net