fish poison

Beverly Erlebacher bae at cs.toronto.edu
Wed May 19 12:42:52 EST 1999

In article <373f024c.0 at pluto.acenet.co.za>,
Tobias Fourie <tfourie at namibnet.com> wrote:
>Do anybody have any information on fish poison plants that was used to catch
>fish in the "old days". I'm writing a essay concerning this subject.

Derris spp have rotenone in their roots, which are crushed and used to
stun fish.  Derris is a woody vine native to SE Asia, but I think there
is another rotenone-containing plant (cube'?) which is South American
and is used for the same purpose.

Rotenone is often used as a "safer" botanical insecticide these days,
but it's just as toxic to fish and amphibians as ever.