Red alder - what zones???

kbonnici at ivory.trentu.ca kbonnici at ivory.trentu.ca
Mon Nov 1 20:35:36 EST 1999

_Alnus rugosa_ grows quite happily here in Peterborough, Ontario (South central
Ont.), so I don't see why it wouldn't get along well in New England. If you're
looking to plant it in N.E., I don't see why you also wouldn't look for stock
originating from that area, as it would be most adapted to local conditions,
etc, etc... It is quite easy to spot in the winter because of its distinctive
buds, and it roots quite readily from winter cuttings (ie. Mid
November-December). And here, it tends to grow in moist areas (lake and river
edges, on humusy or rocky soils) with a rather shrubby growth form. It is
*very* early to flower, and has bright yellow-green pollen, which is quite a
delight to a botanist aching for spring!

Good Luck,

Kellie