our yucca's too tall....help

I DON'T LIKE SPAM!!! spam.spam at spam.spam.com
Thu Nov 4 15:42:43 EST 1999

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999 17:54:50 -0000, "Daf"
<daf at roathmill.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>we have a lovely yucca plant in our front sitting room....but over the years
>it has grown to about 10feet tall (the height of the ceiling) any
>suggestions please!!..we don't want to give it up and its too cold
>outside...help...please!!
>
>daf.........cardiff uk

One idea, if the plant is all stem with leaves only at the top, is to
consider what is called "air layering", a fancy term meaning that you
force the plant to grow roots somewhere along the stem. This is often
done by wrapping the stem at a mid point with moist peat moss and
plastic wrap. After a couple of weeks, open the wrap to see if roots
have begun to form. Once you get a good development of roots, you chop
off just below the newly formed root system, and repot the top.

This is very much an oversimplification, and this does not work with
all plants. Find out as much as you can about your particular plant
first! But if you can, you may end up with not only what you initially
intended, a shorter plant, but two plants if the old bottom resprouts!

Good luck!