Red color in Bryophytes

Jean DEXHEIMER dexheime at worldnet.fr
Sat Nov 6 04:56:24 EST 1999

Red color in Bryophytes

Many Bryophytes have organs colored in red. In vascular plants, the red pigment is localized  in plastids or in
vacuoles. But in Bryophytes, the red color is localized in cell walls. I have verified this in
several species (a Hepatic: Scapannia undulata; a Sphagnaceae:Sphagnum magellanicum and
various mosses: Rhytidiadelphus, Hylocomium).
1) Could you verifie  if that is as true in the Bryophytes of your country
2) Someone could give me some informations on the chemical nature of the wall pigment of Bryophytes ?
I believe to remember , that there exists one or several colored precursors of the lignine ?... But Bryophytes
have not lignin. Perhaps, its synthesis is  blocked at the level these precursors?

thank you of your assistance.
my email: dexheime at worldnet.fr