Native Vs. Non-native Plant Landscaping

Dan Smith eg2000 at home.com
Mon Nov 8 04:36:39 EST 1999

Hi,
My name is Dan Smith and I am currently working on a project to assess
people's views about non-native vs. native plant landscaping.  I
attend The Evergreen State College, and we are looking at the schools
decision to use non-native landscaping on campus.  I am hoping that
you might be able to take the next few minutes to answer the following
questions about this issue.  Any other information that you may
provide will also be very helpful.  Thank you ahead of time for your
feedback.

Issue Questions:

1.  What is your general background in regards to plants, landscaping,
environment, etc.?
2.  What % of a large land area (i.e.-TESC Campus) available for
landscaping should be made available for native plants (100%=all
available landscaping area devoted to natives.)?
3.  In consideration of the above, what % should grasses/lawn cover?
4.  Should wildlife be encouraged with native plantings?
5.  If non-natives were to be replaced, how would that affect the
image of the landscaped area (aesthetic values, etc.)?
6.  If your stance is pro-native, what resolutions would you suggest
to make a change in current trends?
7.  How would you summarize this issue if you were to advocate your
position, considering both pros and cons?

Again, thank you for your time in answering these questions.  If you
have any further comments, please feel free to email me at
eg2000 at home.com any time.
Sincerely,
Dan Smith