Native Vs. Non-native Plant Landscaping

Frank Reilly freilly at mail.vt.edu
Wed Nov 10 10:49:17 EST 1999

Boy Tom that was a great response.
Very well organized, and complete.  The native ve non-native idea is a
constant battle here in Northern VA.  So let me throw a little fuel on
the fire
What constitutes a Native Plant?  For example Phragmites australis is
almost universally considered an invasive alien, yet fossil evidence
points out that it was here long before any europeans intruduced it
(more than 4,000 years).  Another example of the question is does the
wild-type need to be considered as the only "true native,"  or are
desirable cultivars (chosen from a natural sport) like sparkle berry, or
disease-resistant elms "Native?"

--
<x-rich><bold><italic>Frank Reilly

Extension Associate - Urban Nutrient Management

Virginia Cooperative Extension - King George County

P.O. Box 410

King George, VA 22485

Phone: 540-775-3062

Fax: 540-775-5645