Native Vs. Non-native Plant Landscaping

Roger Whitehead rgw at
Wed Nov 10 11:26:22 EST 1999

In article <382993FC.2D165885 at>, Frank Reilly wrote:
> What constitutes a Native Plant?  For example Phragmites australis is
> almost universally considered an invasive alien, yet fossil evidence
> points out that it was here long before any europeans intruduced it
> (more than 4,000 years).

Is ethnicity a factor? I imagine the question is whether it was brought in by
human agency. Given the time quoted, that could easily have been by

Over here, a rough definition is that native plants are those that were here
of their own accord before the English Channel was created (c. 10,000 years
ago), naturalised ones were brought in after that by man but can reproduce
over here, and aliens were brought in but don't reproduce naturally in our
climate (e.g. walnuts).