Question: Conifers and seasonal chloroses??

Mike the Tree Doctor mlamana at bestweb.net
Thu Nov 11 21:10:27 EST 1999

Folks:

I have to pose a general question to any with experience in the matter of
seasonal chloroses in conifers - principally hard pines.

I have a situation in southern New England (Zone 4) where for multiple years
now I have observed gradual yellowing of pitch pines (Pinus rigida), table
mtn. pine (Pinus pungens), and to a lesser degree 'Waxman' eastern white
pines as each winter approached.

The trees in question are from multiple provenances, in multiple soils,
obtained in multiple years. Not each individual of a species for lot is
affected. I have done the usual battery of soil and paired soil/foliage
nutrient assays - all are inconclusive. Soil pH, iron, manganese, copper,
Ca:Mg ratios are all in the ball park, but micronutrient concentrations in
foliage are off in some tests. All trees have been treated with NPK,
sea-kelp extracts, humates, etc. at various times.

Generally speaking, the condition goes away or attenuates greatly with the
onset of Spring - any ideas or similar experiences.

Thanks!
--
Mike the Tree Doctor
www.treedoctors.com